Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Majora's Mask Hoop Art



The best Zelda game, in my opinion, is Majora's Mask. It's the video game that got me into video games as a kid (and now I have a triforce tattoo). I have a lot of Nintendo decor around, but nothing Majora. Hoop art is something I've wanted to try for a while now. Mixed the two together and this is what I came up with!


To make something like this, you simply start with the image you want to recreate in felt.  I blew up a picture of Majora's Mask and taped it to the window on the door for easy tracing.  

I took blank paper and traced the image onto the paper to create a pattern that I was then able to cut into the shapes of each color.  Trace the pattern on to each corresponding felt color and cut out the shapes!  It's almost like a puzzle.  It's imperative that you have an excellent sharp pair of scissors to cut the felt, or else you won't end up with clean lines, but frayed edges instead.  

To sew the pieces together, I used DMC embroidery thread.  I sewed them onto a stretched piece of black cotton fabric in a 12" wooden hoop.  The entire process took about 15 hours, but it's so worth it. I'm going to make a few different hoops in other sizes and make a collage in my entryway.  More updates on that later, as they are complete!  I'm working on a second one of these to put on my Etsy.


No comments:

Post a Comment